Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras announces Humanities & Social Science Entrance Examination (HSEE) - 2017
- Hits: 276
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras announces Humanities & Social Science Entrance Examination (HSEE) - 2017 for admission to five year Integrated Program
- Integrated Master in Development Studies
- Integrated Master in English Studies
- Online Application process starts: December 17, 2016
- Last date for submission of Online Application: January 27, 2017
- Examination Dates for HSEE: April 16, 2017
Candidates applying for HSEE-2017 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2016 or should be appearing in 2017.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
- In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
Percentage of Marks:
- Candidates belonging to the general category and OBC category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Where only letter grades are mentioned in the grade sheet, the candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying equivalent marks, and submit it at the time of joining. In case the candidate does not provide such a certificate, the decision of the HSEE admission committee regarding his/her eligibility shall be final.
Date of Birth:
- Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1992 are eligible for HSEE-2017. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1987 are eligible. The date of birth as recorded in the High School (10th std./12th Std.) first Board/ Pre-University Certificate will be taken as authentic. Candidates must produce a scanned copy of this certificate along with the completed Application Form as proof of their age and at the time of admission original certificate has to be produced failing which they will be disqualified.
- Female/ SC/ ST/ PwD Rs. 1100/-
- All Others Rs. 2200/-
EXAM PATTERN FOR HSEE-2017
Type of Question Paper:
- HSEE-2017 is of three hours duration and has two parts. Part I consists of objective type multiple choice questions for 2½ hours duration (150 minutes), administered through computer. Part II involves essay writing for 30 minutes to be written on answer sheet distributed to the candidates at the end of Part I.
- Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economics (since Independence), Indian Society, Contemporary World Affairs (post-World War II); and (iv) Environment and Ecology.
- Part II requires the candidates to write an essay on general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion.
- Language of Question Paper: English.
- Items Prohibited in the Examination Hall: Electronic devices like mobile phone, calculator, iPod, iPad and headphones, etc. are NOT PERMITTED in the examination hall. Further, items such as log table, abacus, slide rule, textbooks, notebooks, and geometry box, etc. and any other means of calculation are also strictly prohibited in the examination hall.
The examination will be held on Sunday, April 16, 2017 between 10:00 IST and 13:00 IST in select cities throughout India. The above date will remain unaltered even if this date is declared as a public holiday.
Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for HSEE-2017 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign nationals.
Test Centers: The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 12 cities: Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, Thiruvananthapuram, Varanasi.
A candidate has to give two choices for the exam centre. Every attempt will be made to allot the centre of his/her first choice. In extreme cases, the candidate may be allotted the centre/city of his/her second choice. If sufficient number of candidates is not available at any of the above listed cities, the same may be dropped, and the candidates will be allocated to a centre of second choice in the other city. The address of an examination centre for a candidate will be mentioned in the Admit Card, which can be generated online. Request from a candidate for change of city/town allotted to him/her will NOT be entertained under any circumstances.
Download Brochure and read it carefully before filling in the Online Application Form.
For latest information on Entrance Examination & admission visit the official website